March 26, 2009

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
Watched March 25, 2009

SYNOPSIS
A young man goes to Spain to investigate his sister's untimely death, and soon learns that there's more to the story than he thought.

SHORT REVIEW
"The Pit and the Pendulum" is a very well-acted and suspenseful horror, and is especially recommended if you are a big fan of Poe or Vincent Price.

REVIEW
"The Pit and the Pendulum" is just one of those movies that I have a hard time writing a review for. I enjoyed the movie, but not to the point of raving about how amazing it is. And it didn't really have many discernible flaws to point out to you readers. So, I basically have nothing to write about. So, this may not be that good of a review.

I don't watch many 60s horror movies, because it's not my favorite horror time period, but I have to say, out of the other movies I've watched from that era recently, I think I liked "The Pit and the Pendulum" the most. It's never dull and will keep you on your toes the entire length of the film. For a movie that is almost fifty years old, it's also quite suspenseful. It doesn't depend on blood and gore, instead, it builds creepy atmosphere and a sense of dread.

Vincent Price is great, as usual. There's no weak points to the cast, and they all do a good job portraying the character they are playing. The plot is engrossing, especially if you haven't read the story it's based on in a while, so you don't remember what happens next. That's how it was for me, as I haven't read the story for a good while.

This is the second Poe/Price/Corman movie I've seen (the first being "Tales of Terror"), and I look forward to seeing more. "The Pit and the Pendulum" gets:





4 chainsaws out of 5 (VERY GOOD, SEE IT)

No comments: